As featured in The Los Angeles Times, Discover Britain Magazine, The Independent, Daily Telegraph, The Guardian, The Australian, National Geographic Traveller, Lonely Planet Magazine, The Huffington Post and many more!
Summer in England, our favourite bits
By Founder Alison Howell
1) The sounds of summer. Distant combine harvesters working, happy birds and laughing children. The sound of a popping Champagne cork…
2) The smells of summer. Cut grass, meadow flowers and the sea.
3) Tastes of summer. Home-made ice creams, a glass of chilled white wine, the freshest of salads and crusty breads.
4) The warm sunshine. Maybe not every day. But when it shines it’s wonderful.
5) Picnics. Really eating any food outside. But on our Ancient Gods Myths and Legends guided walking holidays we throw out proper rugs and dine on fine local British fare like pork pies and piccalilly, scones, strawberries and clotted and cream and more besides. Everything tastes better outdoors.
6) Those hazy views.
7) Grasses and crops.
8) Long late evenings and chilled out dusks.
9) The feeling that summer will just go on for ever…..
10) Being able to walk without a fleece.
Top tips for Summer walking
1) Dress in several thin layers for summer walking. English summer weather can vary enormously from very warm and sunny to cool and cloudy, breezy or rainy. Be prepared for multiple weathers, sometimes during the same day by having a waterproof, warm fleece, sun hat and sun cream with you. You can more easily adjust a thin layer or two to be warmer or cooler.
2) Always take a mobile phone with you and know the contact numbers for an emergency.
3) Take plenty of water. You will be exerting yourself and exercising so take plenty of water with you. In warm weather you’ll need to drink a cup of water every half an hour.
4) Waterproof walking boots are essential if the grass is wet. If conditions are a prolonged dry spell you might consider a training shoe with a strong sole. Comfortable feet are vital for enjoyment!
5) Don’t forget your camera. Summer often provides multiple opportunities for taking great photographs.