Winter, bejewelled and decked in frost, sun pierced misty mornings and cosy log fires in country inns. The perfect time of year to come crunching across the countryside, marvelling at nature’s silent beauty, breathe the crisp fresh air.
After Christmas our bodies often long to get outdoors. Enjoy fresh air and gentle exercise. Walking is said by many to be the best all round exercise, strengthening and toning muscles, helping the heart to stay healthy and the mind and soul happy.
Top tips for Winter walking
1) Dress in multiple thin layers when walking in winter. These trap warm air near your skin. You can more easily adjust a thin layer or two to be warmer or cooler. You will for example be warmer when you stop at your country pub for lunch and cooler if you stop to take photographs outside depending on the weather.
2) Always take a mobile phone with you and know the contact numbers for an emergency.
3) Take plenty of water. It is a misconception to think you need to drink less in winter. You will be exerting yourself and exercising so take plenty of water with you. A flask of hot tea or coffee can also be enjoyable in addition on a really cold winters day.
4) Waterproof walking boots are essential in winter. Not only will these protect your ankles and give you support, and also grip if you encounter mud or wetter sections but they will ensure your feet stay comfortable and dry. Comfortable feet are vital for enjoyment!
5) Don’t forget your camera. Winter often provides multiple opportunities for taking great photographs in different weather conditions. Light mist or frost two examples.
Winter in England, our favourite bits
By Founder Alison Howell
1) The sheer sense of achievement.
2) The beauty of seeing a still winters day, skeleton trees and their silhouettes at dusk.
3) The comforting sound of silence.
4) The sounds of hissing and cracking of a real log fire, especially when you’ve been out walking all day and are sat in front of it.
5) The first sips of either a cup of tea or pint after a long winter’s walk (we can hear that happy sigh…)
6) The rosy glow you gain on your cheeks!
7) Knowing you are enjoying yourself and also doing something fantastic for your health and well being.
8) The sense of discovery. Winter always reveals some unexpected beauty. Perhaps a fox out hunting, vibrant red berries in the hedgerows, the sight of your first Snowdrop.
Custom made walking
Your trip will be custom made to suit you – your likes, wishes and importantly your walking ability.
All Foot Trails include your accommodation en-suite, in personally chosen country inns and accommodations, country breakfast to start the day, one bottle of wine, independent walking itinerary tailor made to suit you and the winter season, crafted Walk and Explore box packed by hand with your own local maps with your routes annotated, innovative trail cards with clear word directions (on our special waterproof paper) step by step and local histories and stories, nature guide, our signature travel sweets and more!
Like to find out more?
To find out more and request an example itinerary for one of our trails, just pop your details in below or give us a call on +44 (0) 1747 820626.