Spring walking trips and hiking vacations with Foot Trails
As featured in The Independent, The Times, National Geographic Travel Magazine, Lonely Planet Magazine, Los Angeles Times, Discover Britain Magazine, Coast Magazine, The Daily Telegraph and many more!
Spring sets forth an explosion of life and colour in the English countryside that is dramatic and refreshing to see.
Everything wakes up. Starting with the bulbs and early woodland flowers like the wood anemone and then wild garlic and wild bluebells soon follow taking their chances to shine before the tree canopies bloom and steal the show.
Many scientific reports these days show how being in nature makes us humans feel inspired, calm and less stressed. So if the beauty and history alone won’t lure you perhaps the health benefits will. Don your boots and book one of our inspirational spring Foot Trails. You’ll feel healthier and happier for it whilst taking part in a great way to explore England.
Using our local knowledge of the South West’s paths and trails a Foot Trail will also successfully get you off the beaten track and away from busy national trails. So peaceful, authentic and crowd free.
Included below are some ideas for specially selected spring breaks available from Early March, through April, May and into early June. At this time of year all styles of our walking trip are great, staying in one place, inn to inn or walk tour and explore. Foot Trails small expert team of Trip Planners and our founders Alison and David Howell know the best places to walk and stay from personal experience and have the local expertise to create for you a tailor made trip and itinerary to suit you and your plans.
Just pick up the phone and call us on +44 (0) 1747 820 626 or email us at email@example.com
NEW – Complimentary Seasonal Guide
For more advice on the best time of the year to walk in England, request your copy of our new, complimentary Seasonal Guide to Walking in England. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org or call David Howell on +44 (0) 1747 820 626
Pick one of our fabulous Refreshing Spring independent walking breaks ...
Your trip will be custom made to suit you – your likes, wishes and importantly your walking ability.
All Foot Trails include your accommodation en-suite, in personally chosen country inns and accommodations, country breakfast to start the day, one bottle of wine (or for Devon a pack of local goodies), independent walking itinerary tailor made to suit you and the spring season, crafted Walk and Explore box packed by hand with your own local maps with your routes annotated, innovative trail cards with clear word directions (on our special waterproof paper) step by step and local histories and stories, nature guide, our signature travel sweets and more!
Call +44 (0) 1747 820 626 or email email@example.com to chat over your plans with David Howell, our expert Trip Planner and book your refreshing spring walking holiday or hiking vacation today.
Spring in England, our favourite bits :
By Founder Alison Howell
1) The sense of happiness gained from seeing the burst of colour following winter’s sleep. Look out for indigo coloured bluebells, white symmetrical flowers of the wild garlic, beautiful pink blossoms and a multitude of other wild flowers and blooms. We’ll give you a wild flower guide in your Walk and Explore Box so that you can identify our local English varieties.
2) The great variety of weather. Sometimes all in one day. Spring can bounce from cool to warm in a moment transforming landscapes and countryside continually as it does. It keeps us on our toes! We’ll provide you with an up to date local weather forecast a few days before you depart.
3) The uplifting sound of bird song. Birds love spring. And love to sing as they work!
4) The joyful feeling of those first rays of warmer sunshine of the year on your skin. All that vitamin D!
5) The first lunch or drink outdoors of the year. Everything tastes better outdoors. We’ll make sure you know our top hand-picked pubs and cafes where you can enjoy lunch en-route and we’ll tell you about village shops we know of in case you fancy a Spring picnic.
6) The sight of young animals and birds. Spring is a time for new life in the animal kingdom as well as plants. Look out for lambs, chicks and listen out for baby birds.
7) Knowing you are doing something fantastic for your health and well being and enjoying yourself at the same time.
8) The delight of Spring’s all encompassing hold. Spring changes the landscape the weather and the wildlife. Every step you’ll be spoilt for choice with views, life and sounds.
9) The scent. Whether wild bluebell’s delicate and evocative scent or the pungent unmistakable smell of wild garlic in English woodlands. Spring smells wonderful!
10) Knowing that following Spring will come Summer. With even more natural delights to enjoy.
Top tips for Spring walking
1) Dress in several thin layers for Spring walking. English Spring weather can vary enormously from warm and sunny to cool and cloudy, breezy or rainy. Be prepared for multiple weathers, sometimes during the same day by having a waterproof, warm fleece, sun hat and sun cream with you. You can more easily adjust a thin layer or two to be warmer or cooler.
2) Always take a mobile phone with you and know the contact numbers for an emergency.
3) Take plenty of water. It is a misconception to think you need to drink less in Spring than other times of the year. You will be exerting yourself and exercising so take plenty of water with you.
4) Waterproof walking boots are essential in Spring. Not only will these protect your ankles and give you support, and also grip if you encounter mud or wetter sections, but they will ensure your feet stay comfortable and dry. Comfortable feet are vital for enjoyment!
5) Don’t forget your camera. Spring often provides multiple opportunities for taking great photographs in different weather conditions. Sunshine on blossom or a breeze blowing through wild bluebells for example.